These are good items to pay attention to prior to listing your home. With the current state of the market, buyers are wanting more things addressed and it’s a good thing to get on top of them even before you put your home on the market. More and more buyers are wanting move-in ready homes.
You want to have your home show as a well maintained home for a quicker sale. The best thing you can do is walk around your home inside and out as if you were the buyer. What stands out to you. Look for these items:
- 1. Make sure water drains away from the house (downspout and splash blocks away from house).
- 2. Have a licensed roofer inspect all your roof areas for issues. If you have a tile roof, and your home is more than 20 years old, have them check a few areas of your underlayment to make sure it is still in good shape.
- 3. Check wood trim to make sure it is not weathered.
- 4. Check to make sure there is no fallen insulation in the crawlspace.
- 5. Make sure the hose bibs are not loose or leaking.
- 6. Install an anti-siphon attachment to your hose bib if it doesn’t have one already.
- 7. Make sure there is clear access to your electrical panel, crawl space, attic space and garage walls.
- 8. Check all windows can open and close.
- 9. Check to make sure your windows have adequate caulking inside and out.
- 10. Are there any broken seals (the black rubber that is sticking up) on your windows.
- 11. Check to make sure all of your doors open and close without rubbing and securely latch.
- 12. Check walls for cracks and/or water stains.
- 13. Check to make sure all ceiling fans function properly on all speeds without wobbling.
- 14. Check and replace all burned out light bulbs.
- 15. Consider getting the carpet cleaned and re-stretched if needed.
- 16. Fix any holes/nail pops in walls/ceilings.
- 17. Fill all sinks, drain and check for slow drain and any leaks underneath sink.
- 18. Check disposal for proper function.
- 19. Make sure your dishwasher hose is high-looped to prevent backup into the dishwasher.
- 20. Make sure all burners and elements work on the stove/oven.
- 21. Check counter and backsplash for needed caulking.
- 22. Check toilet for cracks or loose/rocking toilets.
- 23. Check all faucets for water pressure. Try cleaning out aerators/screens.
- 24. Check laundry connection for leaks.
- 25. Check water heater (tpr valve too) for leaks.
- 26. Change your air filters.
- 27. Clean your windows inside and out prior to it going on the market.
Before showing the home, turn the lights on and make sure the house is tidy.